Sunday, 6 February 2011

New Goblin

I wasn't happy with the lack of control over detail in the previous attempts so I decided on a different technique. I sculpted a face in plasticine, made an open plaster mould and slush cast a thin latex mask. After dipping the upholstery foam head in latex, I grafted the mask on while the head was still wet. I don't think I have a career in plastic surgery, but it worked ok.

Slightly disturbing!

Mask, mould, sculpt.

Still a bit rough but getting nearer to what I envisaged.

I have to thank Jon for the photo backdrop technique. Cheers, pal :)

Thursday, 3 February 2011

Puppet FAIL.

I wasn't going to post this, but I haven't updated in a while. Below you can see the latest failed attempt at a goblin. Before I dipped in latex, the puppet was spot-on. The proportions were all nice and it was feather light due to it being made from upholstery foam, then wrapped in bandages. For some reason I didn't take any photos of the pre-dipped phase.

Then it all went tits.

The latex soaked into the bandages too much (perhaps I should have foreseen this), resulting in a very heavy body and I couldn't achieve the 'smooth' finish I was hoping for. The right arm became detached from the wooden chest block - probably because I used metal epoxy, which set rock-hard but didn't bond to the wood. The right leg came loose from its wooden block too - same reason. Overall, it just didn't look the way I wanted it to. Back to the drawing board. Oh, and the latex dried much darker than I had anticipated, despite adding gallons of white pigment. After I finish the puppet I'm doing now, I think I'll get back to the Dragonskin silicone. I'm losing faith in liquid latex.

Quite a big puppet. About 13 inches.

I don't like the face. It's too generic.