Monday 7 May 2012

The Monkeys Learned To Build Machines

This is my current project. If I get finished in time, it'll be entered into the animateclay monthly challenge for May (which ends June 6th) - the theme being 'Broken'.

I put the witches on hold for now because it was merely puppet-building practice.

Below, you can see early sketches, ideas and development, and a couple of face sculpts of the 2 main characters. Repeating the 'mask technique' I have used previously, they will be slush-cast in liquid latex. Bodies will be covered in short fur fabric (possibly held firm with a matt glue to avoid 'boiling'), and fitted out with some kind of military uniform. Cool or what?! :D










 Oh, and while I'm here. CHEESECAKE! Of the lemon and lime variety. Baking is art, right.... :)


Gelatin-free. Suitable for animal-lovers.

13 comments:

  1. holy ****...that is awesome haha....Those little heads (?) are so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you. I'm flattered by your over-enthusiasm :D

      Which bit is awesome? The cheesecake? It sure tasted good! :)

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh!! This is definitely looking cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thanks, Strider. I realised it looks so much better in my head than what I've posted here, so I'm glad you popped up :)

      More to come, more to come.

      Delete
  3. Hey Dean.....these are wicked!!! I cant wait to see what happens! And that cheese cake is definitely art! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Evan. I just had some perfect short (fake) fur delivered, so things can progress when I get a free minute :-/

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeff. I'm watching your clothes-making exploits with a keen eye. It's not too dissimilar to what my puppets will be wearing.

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see this Ape project finished....Oh and baked cheesecake perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven, I can't wait to see the Ape project started ;) Thanks for the encouragement. Roll on the weekend!

      Delete
  6. hey hows the ape project coming along? the heads are looking cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marc. Thanks. Slow progress, as usual. New blog post coming up :)

      Delete